Copyright and License
You are free to copy, distribute, transmit and adapt our data, as long as you credit OpenStreetMap and its contributors. If you alter or build upon our data, you may distribute the result only under the same licence. The full legal code explains your rights and responsibilities.
Our documentation is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license (CC BY-SA 2.0).
How to credit OpenStreetMap
We require that you use the credit “© OpenStreetMap contributors”.
You must also make it clear that the data is available under the Open Database License. You may do this by linking to this copyright page. Alternatively, and as a requirement if you are distributing OSM in a data form, you can name and link directly to the license(s). In media where links are not possible (e.g. printed works), we suggest you direct your readers to openstreetmap.org (perhaps by expanding 'OpenStreetMap' to this full address) and to opendatacommons.org.
The map tiles in the “standard style” at www.openstreetmap.org are a Produced Work by the OpenStreetMap Foundation using OpenStreetMap data under the Open Database License. If you are using these tiles please use the following attribution: “Base map and data from OpenStreetMap and OpenStreetMap Foundation”.
For a browsable electronic map, the credit should appear in the corner of the map. For example:
Finding out more
Read more about using our data, and how to credit us, at the OSMF Licence page.
Our contributors are thousands of individuals. We also include openly-licensed data from national mapping agencies and other sources, among them:
- Austria: Contains data from Stadt Wien (under CC BY), Land Vorarlberg and Land Tirol (under CC BY AT with amendments).
- Australia: Contains data sourced from PSMA Australia Limited licensed by the Commonwealth of Australia under CC BY 4.0.
- Canada: Contains data from GeoBase®, GeoGratis (© Department of Natural Resources Canada), CanVec (© Department of Natural Resources Canada), and StatCan (Geography Division, Statistics Canada).
- Finland: Contains data from the National Land Survey of Finland's Topographic Database and other datasets, under the NLSFI License.
- France: Contains data sourced from Direction Générale des Impôts.
- Netherlands: Contains © AND data, 2007 (www.and.com)
- New Zealand: Contains data sourced from the LINZ Data Service and licensed for reuse under CC BY 4.0.
- Slovenia: Contains data from the Surveying and Mapping Authority and Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Food (public information of Slovenia).
- Spain: Contains data sourced from the Spanish National Geographic Institute (IGN) and National Cartographic System (SCNE) licensed for reuse under CC BY 4.0.
- South Africa: Contains data sourced from Chief Directorate: National Geo-Spatial Information, State copyright reserved.
- United Kingdom: Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2010-19.
For further details of these, and other sources that have been used to help improve OpenStreetMap, please see the Contributors page on the OpenStreetMap Wiki.
Inclusion of data in OpenStreetMap does not imply that the original data provider endorses OpenStreetMap, provides any warranty, or accepts any liability.
OSM contributors are reminded never to add data from any copyrighted sources (e.g. Google Maps or printed maps) without explicit permission from the copyright holders.
OpenStreetMap, the magnifying glass logo and State of the Map are registered trademarks of the OpenStreetMap Foundation. If you have questions about your use of the marks, please see our Trademark Policy.